Dr Two-Sticks

being the now defunct blog of a doctorate holder who used knitting as a form of procrastination while writing her dissertation.

Monday, December 05, 2005

WIPs

'Tis the season! I had been avoiding knitting while I moved and settled in, but went a few months ago to a Knit-Out on the Mall and got inspired. Then, just last week I hit the Container Store and got stuff to organize my stash in, which was useful to get a handle on what I do and don't have. (too many Lion Brand thick-and-quick chenille skeins, lots of leftovers for a good leftover project of some kind....) I think this will be the season I finish up old projects instead of start a million new ones that will sit through another summer!

--I owe my stepdad that HP scarf. I bought nice yarn this time and have to learn how to make balls out of hanks before I can start. Suggestions welcome! I'll be making it in tubular reverse stockinette and tossing the acrylic in a Yarn Box that is circulating among memmbers of a mailing list I'm on (if it ever comes to me). I'll make it with the narrow double stripes in the recent HP movies, not the colorblocks of the first few movies, because the colors are maroon and gray and I think it'll look better.

--In prime procrastination-dissertation mode last winter, I began a pattern from the second Stitch and Botch book, the thumbed handwarmers with the leafy pattern on back. Made one, it took some time, but it looked great. Made another, and only when it was already done did I realize I had made it with the WRONG GAUGE NEEDLES. It's way too tight and I have no use for it. I laughed and laughed at myself. So I started a THIRD one, but was pretty discouraged, and never picked it up again. (pictures to come)

--I saw a beautiful mohair-silk blend (Kidsilk) at the Knit Out and am 1/3 through a mustard yellow lacework scarf for myself. I picked a forgiving lace pattern (accidentally): if I miss or drop a stitch, I do not start a major run in the fabric. Good thing too. Took a bit for me to get used to the pattern, but it will be barely noticeable in the end. (pictures to come)

--As usual, I have ideas for myself and others, but I reeeeally want the sense of accomplishment I'll get from that HP scarf being done and given. I plan on knitting like the wind. THE WIND!! Then I'll finish up the wrist warmer. By then it should be January...