Past Projects: Knitting Porn
Weekend Knitting's sumptuousness has enticed many a knitter, it seems; I bought it 'cause it was just so pretty, and later found out the book was semi-famous in the knitting community for just that reason. (Still, you'd think they'd have the sense to tell the photographer to always have every part of the knitted item be in focus.)
Right off I made a pair of black wool handwarmers out of some yarn or other and was impressed by the quality and detail of the pattern, even for an item so simple. They are modeled below by my sister and one of my cats, and in person do show their age a bit, I think the yarn was El Cheapo brand. Because of the garter stitch, the tops are a little too loose for my taste, I always wish they were more snug at the fingers when I wear them, but they are PERFECT for going over gloves for a bit of extry warmth. If I ever make myself another pair, I might do the last 3/4" by the fingers in stockinette, or I might just make fingerless thumbless gloves :)
This little project's big instructions gave me the confidence to tackle the elfin booties for my niece, which was my first sock and great fun. I doubled up some purple Lion Brand homespun and blue/green LB boucle and trimmed it with hot pink LB fun fur. I also bought bamboo 13 dpn's, and oh my god, I wish I had money for more bamboo/wood needles! The project taught me some other important lessons:
--test for washability/colorfastness especially in kid gifts (the boucle made my fingers blue)
--make sure things you value will be valued by the recipient also (haven't seen them since I gave them--I don't think her mom liked them)
--take pictures (hence the blog).
Later I made a second pair for a friend's kid, and learned just how hard it is to see dropped stitches in fun fur. So hard that you may never notice that you dropped one at all, and your friend will bring her kid to a superbowl party wearing the booties and the cuff will unravel and it'll be embarrassing.
Right off I made a pair of black wool handwarmers out of some yarn or other and was impressed by the quality and detail of the pattern, even for an item so simple. They are modeled below by my sister and one of my cats, and in person do show their age a bit, I think the yarn was El Cheapo brand. Because of the garter stitch, the tops are a little too loose for my taste, I always wish they were more snug at the fingers when I wear them, but they are PERFECT for going over gloves for a bit of extry warmth. If I ever make myself another pair, I might do the last 3/4" by the fingers in stockinette, or I might just make fingerless thumbless gloves :)
This little project's big instructions gave me the confidence to tackle the elfin booties for my niece, which was my first sock and great fun. I doubled up some purple Lion Brand homespun and blue/green LB boucle and trimmed it with hot pink LB fun fur. I also bought bamboo 13 dpn's, and oh my god, I wish I had money for more bamboo/wood needles! The project taught me some other important lessons:
--test for washability/colorfastness especially in kid gifts (the boucle made my fingers blue)
--make sure things you value will be valued by the recipient also (haven't seen them since I gave them--I don't think her mom liked them)
--take pictures (hence the blog).
Later I made a second pair for a friend's kid, and learned just how hard it is to see dropped stitches in fun fur. So hard that you may never notice that you dropped one at all, and your friend will bring her kid to a superbowl party wearing the booties and the cuff will unravel and it'll be embarrassing.


<< Home